Sunday, November 7, 2010

Who says being sick and baking doesn't go well together?

Bonjour mes amis! I am back and better than ever. I took a two day rest last week since I was feeling a little under the weather. I thought I had the flu but thank god, the test came out negative. Although, the doctor still suggested that I take another day of rest.
So what better way to spend my rest day but to cook right? I don't think I can ever fully rest in bed even if I am sick because all I watch on TV are cooking shows after cooking shows.
Since thanksgiving is just right around the corner, most cooking shows are showcasing their take on the traditional thanksgiving meal. I decided that maybe I should try my luck on baking pies. I have never made a pie before. I think I can
confidently say that I am a great cook but a baker? I am still honing my skills on that, he he (paging my pastry chef cousin from NYC!). So I looked at some recipes from one of my cookbooks and checked the fridge if I had any of the ingredients for a pie. Luckily, I usually keep a stock of sweet potatoes in the pantry and for some reason, I decided to buy a ready to bake crust from WF last week when I was there. I guess I was thinking ahead of my self. So sweet potato pie that is....inspired from my Gourmet Today recipe book with a little twist of my own.
Since I already have a ready to bake crust, let me just provide you the recipe for the filling.

2 cups of mashed sweet potato
1 and 1/4 heavy cream (since I had no half and half available)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

3 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground all spice
1/2/ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup butter

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Combine the brown sugar, butter, one half of heavy cream and the seasoning in a low heat pot until the brown sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbling. Pour the mash potato and stir together and let it cool. On another mixing bowl, beat the three eggs, combine the half of heavy cream, and the granulated sugar. Mix thoroughly. Take the brown sugar mixture and combine them together. Pour the filling into your crust and bake for 45 minutes to an hour until the center is complete
ly set.

I tell you, the combination of cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice make a great aromatic smell around the house. And I couldn't wait how my first pie turned out.


My first sweet potato pie!

At least B had a slice and liked it. Although, he was looking for his whipped cream:(

Bisous,
Contessa

1 comment:

  1. looks yummy..it made me crave for one especially now I am on a night duty. Keep posting and get well soon ;)

    ReplyDelete