Sunday, November 7, 2010

And the cooking continues...... pigs in a blanket!

You thought that my sweet potato pie was the only thing I made while I was sick huh? Well you thought wrong mes amis. I had to feed B regular food also besides dessert right? Although, the dessert came first but that doesn't matter. HEHE!I always look forward to Friday night, which is our cheat night to eat whatever unhealthy food comes to mind (although I was totally bad this weekend with my food choice but that's another post, I was sick so I have an excuse). But of course, what makes it better because it's home made:-)!
When I was at Whole Foods last
week, I also bought some Dufour Puff Pastry. Since I will be hosting my beloved sister's baby shower in a few weeks, I have started to think of what to serve for the menu. The idea of puff pastry appetizers sounded good as part of the menu. I had endless ideas in my mind on how prepare it but since I was so eager to make them, I took them out of the fridge and defrosted for about an hour or two. (Sorry beloved sister, I would have to buy another puff pastry sheet for your shower he he).

I kept thinking parmesan twist but then that wouldn't be so filling for B, wouldn't it? What about something that goes well with beer? How about pigs in a blanket? I didn't mean to say that I will take some piglets and wrap them aro
und with a blanket. Silly me! Since we had tons of left over Hebrew National Hotdogs in the freezer, I decided to give this recipe a try.

Then I remembered Gina and Patr
ick of Down with the Neely's Food Network show had an episode of "It's a Pig's World' and this was one of the recipes. The only thing they used was the crescent roll dough. But I think the puff pastry was still the best option.

And I present to you my pigs in a blanket....perfect appetizers and snacks when you have friends over. But in our case, we devoured this piglets in no time. They were so
delish!



Recipe:
Dufour Pastry Sheet
Hotdogs
Dijon Mustard
American Cheese (optional but we like our cheesy)
1 egg wash to seal the dough

  • Cut hot dogs lengthwise 3/4 of the way through. Insert a piece of cheese
  • On a lightly floured work surface, working with one sheet of puff pastry at a time, roll into a 14-by-11-inch rectangle. Cut lengthwise into seven 1 1/2-inch wide strips. Cut each strip crosswise into 4 rectangles, each about 3 1/2 inches long.
  • Brush Dijon mustard to each strip
  • In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water; set aside. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside. Place a hot dog on the narrow end of one piece of pastry. Roll to enclose, brushing with some of the beaten egg to adhere; transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining hot dogs and pastry. Brush the tops of puff pastry with egg.
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
  • Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool briefly before serving with mustard and ketchup.

  • Simple, easy, yet delish!

    Bisous,
    Contessa




    1 comment: