Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken and Lentils Curry with Coconut Milk

I know. I know. I know. I have been into lentils lately and I find myself eating it more and more. It's becoming a staple for my breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Now how aromatic is that? LOL! But ofcourse, I am too prim and proper to even go there. What I can tell you, though, is how aromatic this dish is. The combination of spices such saffron, turmeric, curry powder, just to name a few, worked so well together. It created this pungent but very inviting smell around the house. Not to mention, the flavor just blended really well. You can also surprise yourself by adding a dollop of sour cream or cottage cheese on top for the extra creaminess. It was indeed magical!

IMG_7684

My chicken and lentils curry recipe is not only flavorful and mouthwatering but it's super healthy. I love how it's loaded wtih superfoods. Chicken (rich in protein), lentils (protein, fiber, biotin, and other vitamins), collard green (vitamin A), coconut milk (rich in potassium, electrolites, and it contains lauric acid, which is anti-viral and anti-microbial), and the spices have their own benefits too....In addition, this dish is so cheap. It's less than $10.00 dollars (well if you include the Macadamia Nut oil, that's a different story). HA!HA!
IMG_7672

Here are the different ingredients I used to make the curry. If you notice most of them are organic but it's whatever you prefer to use. I don't like adding to much salt (makes you puffy and bloated) in any of my dish so I usually buy low sodium broth and the coconut milk is also light, which has less than 50 grams of Saturated fat.
IMG_7673

With all these spices, who needs to add extra salt? For a stronger flavor, salt can be added of course.

Chicken and Lentils Curry
organic free range chicken breast cut in cubes
one can of cooked lentils

chopped collard greens (you may use Spinach or completely exclude the greens)
minces ginger
finely chopped garlic
chopped tomatoes
and the rest of the ingredients pictured above

Heat pan and add two tablespoons of macadamia nut oil (olive oil will do, I just like the nutiness of the former). Saute ginger and garlic for a few minutes (careful not too burn the garlic). Add chicken and stir until brown. Add lentils, tomatoes and slowly add your spices too. Stir together and pour half a cup of broth and a half a cup of coconut milk (you can use more depending on how creamy you want). Let it simmer until the sauce reduces a little. Add your green at the end and it's ready to serve!  

Like I mentioned before, you may add sour cream or cottage cheese. Perfect to serve with rice or dip with pita bread.

Have a nice Thursday!

Bisous, Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment