Saturday, December 11, 2010

Hearty Soup On A Cold Weather

This is my own version of Mung Bean soup known as Ginisang Munggo, a popular soup from the Philippines. It's usually cooked with sauteed mung beans and pork belly. However, my own version involves less cooking and healthier.  Everything is cooked in one pot. I don't the sauteing process since that will just add additional oil on the soup.  I also use a leaner cut of pork than your usual pork belly. :-)
 
If you want to get your servings of vegetable and protein in one meal, this soup is for you.  I grew up eating this soup in the Philippines and now that I am a grown up, I am still eating it:-). One would probably think that since I am now living in the states, my meal would probably consist of anything fancy. Usually the ones we grew up eating are the ones that are good for us.  I remember my mother forcing me to eat vegetables and I hated it. Now that I am a grown up (wow really?), I am slowly catching up on all my vegetables.  Not too late you know! 

I make this soup on a regular basis. At least maybe once a week as it is loaded with all the nutrition we need. And it's very filling on its own. But of course, if you are hard core Filipino, you will be eating this with rice.:-) What you need to make Contessa's Mung Bean soup:

Mung beans (purchased from Whole Foods)
Kale
Spinach
Mushrooms
Shrimp
Cooked Lean Pork chopped in small cubes
Garlic
Tomatoes
Onions
Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil your mung beans with 3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth until soften and the beans split up. Once your beans are cooked, add your chopped onions, garlic, and tomatoes on the pot and add more broth or water to fill up the pot.  Let it boil, add your cooked pork, shrimp and slowly add the rest of your vegetables until cooked.  Let it simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste. 


Easy, hearty and healthy! 


Bisous,
Contessa
 

1 comment:

  1. i love mung bean soup. yes you are right, its very healthy, full of nutrition that our body needs. you inspired me, i think im going to make this today, lol!

    ReplyDelete