Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Christmas Story - Reliving My Engagement

It's been exactly a year ago during Christmas that B proposed to me.  After saying "yes, I will marry you," I knew from then on my life will never be the same. I can almost remember the emotions that was running through me when B got down on his knee to pop the question. The feeling was so magical! I still get butterflies in my stomach each time I think about it. 


Although, our story was a little backwards. Before we even got engaged, I was already planning my dream wedding. I had my wedding gown picked out, the bridesmaids' dresses, and even the flower girls. I mean the whole she bang was completely done. I was just waiting for B to officially asked me to marry him. HA! HA! I know some of you are probably wondering why I couldn't just wait. But ofcourse, we didn't tell everyone that we are getting married until we officially announce that we were engaged. So, it was still a complete surprise to them.  My family and his family, on the other hand, already knew that we were already planning our wedding. 

Well, let me get back to my engagement story now before I get distracted. I would have to tell you how I planned my wedding on another post. Prior to getting engaged, I was already planning my wedding. Heck, I even told B not to bother asking me or giving me an engagement ring. I think I sounded desperate there, huh? But ofcourse, I give credit to B, for still being traditional.  He still wanted to propose to me officially, sweep me off my feet, make me cry, you know the whole nine yards! I mean, what girl does not want that, right? I am sure it's every little girls dreams to meet a man of their dreams and be swept away. What was even more special was when B's mom offered her engagement ring to give to me. I don't think I deserve it. He engagement ring was older than both of our ages combined. She must have seen something really special in me. I guess the fact that her youngest son is finally getting married. We can all say "awwwww" now.

So, exactly a year from now during Christmas week, unbeknownst to me, B was already making plans on how he was going to propose. He made several trips to his mother's house without telling me (sneaky!).  I guess to decorate or prepare. At that time, he was also buying boxes of Christmas lights but never took them home.  But I promise, I had no clue what was happenieng. HA! HA! He was so sneaky that he was able to manage to keep this one from me. And mind you, my little detective in me would have known already. I mean, I knew it was going to happen around the holidays. I wasn't sure exactly when. I thought he would propose infront of my family during our family's annual Christmas eve dinner. But I went home disappointed when he didn't. HAHA! So I gave up after that.

The following day, during Christmas, we went to his mother's house for dinner. I noticed that the dining room had Christmas lights hung everywhere, but they were not lit. Although, I did not pay attention for I know that it was just one of his mom's decorations.  Maybe she was saving energy. We finished eatting dinner and dessert was served. Nothing was happening. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that maybe he will wait on New Year's Eve. I then went to the bathroom to get ready to leave. When I got back to sit down, B immediately got down on his knee. Okay you can now say, "awwwww" again. I was completely surprised. And in his words, let me just share with you. I still have it documented to this day. He said to me, "Chatney, you are the light of my life (then all the Christmas lights in the room lit up). These past seven and half years (yes, I waited that long, now you know why I was in a hurry, lol) that we have been together, have been the brighstest by far ( I guess the Christmas lights symbolized that:-). I can no longer see my future without you in it. Mahal Kita (where did you get this hon? Tagalog translator.com?), I love you, I need you.  Will you stay with me but now as my wife throughout the rest of my years?"  Awwww, isn't he the sweetest?

Up to this day, whenever I think about it, I have tears in my eyes. I am just the luckiest to have met my true love, my bestfriend, and my husband. Corny! But, in all honesty, I was just over the moon.  And this is our first Christmas as a married couple. 

Let me just take this opportunity to thank all of for allowing me to share with you our engagement story. I wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.  


Bisous,
Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment