Thursday, January 20, 2011

I have a new crush....but shhh don't tell B!

Meet my new crush. Chuck Hughes. Host of Chuck's Day Off. The sole reason why I was lured into watching the Cooking Channel. Before I get in trouble here with B, let me just say that I admire his playfulness in cooking.  His show is set in his restaurant, which makes it more real. His food are always so easy and quick to prepare with out being ambitious. So fresh and modern. And boy, that French accent? I can have him cook for me any day. Tres Bien!


I think he is the "it" chef of the Cooking Channel at the moment. He recently proved that he is the man when he beat Iron Chef Bobby Flay in the battle of Canadian Lobster. Bobby Flay you are so totally out:-) 

Every episode on his show has a story behind it. One particular episode that left me drooling was "The Knife Guy," in which he talks about not owning his set of knives (no I didn't drool over the knives, lol). Instead he commissions this company that specializes in loaning knives. I wish I can just do that too so I can have different types of knives I want in my disposal. Anyways, he prepared a brisket sandwich for his knife guy. I am all about braising meat for longer periods of time. I just love having the permeating smell of the marinade sauce around the house. And who does not love tender fork melt in your mouth meat? It just happened that B went away over the weekend to go skiing, so I wanted to surprise him with a nice hearty meal when he got home.  

Unfortunately, I did not have any brisket available and I was not about to go to the grocery to get some. I also did not have time to make his rub as the recipe called it (as it required at least four hours drying the onions, shallots, ginger in the oven). I am sure it would have been good but perhaps next time.


Good thing I had Grass Fed Chuck Roast in the freezer, which is just as good to braise. I happened to have some onion rolls too (which is B's favorite). I was pretty luck that I had most ingredients in my pantry and fridge. 
 
Apple BBQ Marinade Sauce (my own version of the sauce, you can always go to the Cooking Channel's website to get the complete ingredient)

In a large bowl, mix together the onion, garlic, ketchup, agave nectar, molasses, reduced sodium soy sauce, Bone Suckin BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, to taste. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Place the chuck roast into a dutch oven. Pour the marinade over it and bake for 2 to 3 hours or until fork-tender.  Strain and pour the sauce in a stockpot and let reduce for about 10 minutes on medium high heat until thick. Remove excess fat. Toast your rolls and serve it with freshly sliced tomatoes and lettuce bib.


I also added some cremini mushrooms at the last hour while I was braising my meat. For the side, I boiled some asparagus and blanched them with cold water.  I also made with Herbed Parmesan Potato Fries. 

B was a happy camper when he came home. But I was happier coz deep in my mind, I know Chuck would have been proud of my braised chuck roast sandwich:-). 

No comments:

Post a Comment